This last Saturday Matt rode in the Tour de Cure for Diabetes. He has been raising money and getting ready for the ride for the past few months and he was so excited that it was finally here. Matt was one of 1200 riders that rode in the tour. He was a red rider (a rider with diabetes) and it was just so awesome to see all the people that were there either with diabetes or there just to support their family and friends.
While Matt was on his ride me and my mom signed up as volunteers to help out where we could. Our first job was to direct traffic and tell people where to park. It really ended up being a pretty nice day, but there were a few wind and rain storm:)
Our other job was setting up and being over the family ride rest stop. This was mostly for the little kids, but it was really cool to see the little kids with diabetes riding with there brothers and sisters. It was actually a little emotional.
I barley made it when Matt finished so my picture is kinda far away. I am so proud of him! Diabetes is something that he has had to deal with since he was 2 years old. Being able to see him ride and raise money for a cure was amazing! We are really excited to get more involved in the activities the American Diabetes Association puts on. Next is "Step Out" In September:)
This is a picture of all of the "red riders". They had them all go to the front for a picture and everyone gave them a standing ovation. Again very emotional!
Matt and I just want to thank all of you that donated money to him and helped in the research and education of diabetes. It really means a lot to us. We have the most amazing friends and we are so grateful for that. Also we want to thank my mom for taking her Saturday and coming with us and helping volunteer. You are the best! We love you all and thanks so so much!
Monday, June 15, 2009
Tour de Cure!!
Posted by Matt and Marti Jo at 3:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am so proud of Matt. I hope to be able to do it next year. Hopefully it will be on a Saturday here! Tell him Congrats!
That is awesome, I got emotional just reading about it! Good job Matt:)
Good job Matt, I am proud of you! I can't believe there were so many riders but so few with diabetes. Next year we will have to donate or maybe volunteer or even ride!
I am still so bummed that we couldn't be there too. Next year! We want to do the family ride with the kids.
Marti Jo! You have such a good heart...truly :)
Matt - You don't know what this does to me. I've been with you for all those years and I am so proud of what you are doing. I truly hope they have a cure and don't forget Dad and I are donating too. Marti - you are awesome. Thanks for being such a supportive wife.
Post a Comment