Friday, June 4, 2010

First trip to Moab, but not the last!!

A couple of weekends ago Matt and I decided to take a little weekend trip to Moab. Matt has been there a few times, but I have never been. It was so beautiful! I can not believe that I had never been! We got there on a Friday afternoon and left on Sunday and there was SO much that we were not able to do. We didn't take bikes or anything because we decided that this trip would be dedicated to seeing the major sites and hiking, but next time I am totally taking the 4-wheelers! there were so many atv trails! So here are lots of picture of our trip. (I took about 200 pictures but don't worry I won't post them all)

Our first stop was Hole n' the rock. It was pretty cool to see the house that those crazy people built in the rock, but for some reason while we were there I would just laugh. It was just kind of random to me. First you are seeing this house built out of a side of a huge rock, then you are walking around looking at a jeep made from license plates, and then you go to the petting zoo. haha it was funny to me for some reason, but we had fun.



My favorite animal to feed was the camel. I had no idea that camels don't have top teeth.
Our next stop was Dead Horse Point. It was so pretty, but so windy this night. It was fun just driving up here because no matter where you were you were looking at something beautiful.



Saturday was my favorite. We spent the entire day in Arches National Park. I cannot believe how incredible that place is! We were going to hike delicate arch first, but decided that we wanted to do that at sunset so we drove to the end of the park and started there at the Devils Garden.


The first arch that we hiked to was tunnel arch(above) and close to that was pine tree arch(below).

Those arches were both on the way to see landscape arch which was one of my favorite. (every arch we went to ended up being one of my new favorites) This one is really cool, but it is so thin that it makes you wonder how much longer it can stand like that.
Next we drove down to skyline arch and then balancing rock. Balancing rock again was one of my favorites.



Seriously how is it not falling?!
Double arch was also beautiful. In fact as far as beauty goes these were at the top of my list, well second to top.






At this point we have been there for about 5 hours so we decided to head back to Moab for some lunch and rest before we hiked delicate arch. We had lunch and the Moab Brewery and went and relaxed by the pool. At about 5:30 we headed back to Arches to Delicate Arch.
I am not the best hiker so this hike was pretty hard for me, but Matt was nice and let me take as many breaks as I wanted:) I decided that I really do like hiking. Not necessarily the hiking part, but once you get to the top it is always worth it! And this was no different.



Ok I am TERRIFIED of heights!! At the end of this hike you have to hike next to this ledge and I was so scared! When we got to the arch there are huge drop offs everywhere and it was so windy I was seriously so scared. I just sat there for like 5 mins and told Matt not to touch me! I was literally scared stiff!



When we went to get our picture taken under the Arch I was walking so slow taking baby steps and everyone was laughing at me. I was so nervous watching people jump and run by the edge especially when there were little kids with them!!! Ah I was a nervous wreck! But it was so worth it! I have never seen anything like this before and the pictures just don't do it justice!
Can you see Matt in the picture above? I was nervous!

We had such an amazing trip. on Sunday we woke up late, went to breakfast at the old Jail House, drove through Arches one last time, and headed for home. Matt and I have not taken a trip just the two of us since our honeymoon, so it was fun to be with just him all weekend and not have to worry about anyone else! There are so many places in Utah that we have not seen and I am excited to discover all of the beautiful things in our state!!!































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like SO much fun! I havent been there since high school. Maybe its time for a trip back.

The Richards said...

I remember meeting those people that live in the rocks... they kinda creeped me out though. Looks like you had a great trip. Now it's time for us to finally get together and play!

Lisa said...

What a fun trip.. and great pictures! We LOVE Moab! There are so many fun things to do!

Cassi and John said...

I want to Go !!! You guys are so cute.

Beth said...

I always wanted to go to Moab too! From those pics, it looks like a blast! It will have to be on our to-do list this summer.